| || ||1. Regional Eurasian Patent Information System (EAPATIS).
As part of the overall effort to create a common Eurasian patent-information space, work continued in 2004 on the creation of the Organization member-states' national patent documentation back files, their transfer to the EAPO search file, their integration with PCT Minimum Documentation countries' databases and providing standardized access to them via EAPATIS. With this in view, most national offices prepared and sent CD-ROMs with back files to the EAPO, whereas EAPO specialists put into place local databases consolidated with other databases of the EAPO patent information archive.
Local search databases with back files from six Organization members' national patent offices (Armenia, Belarus, Kyrgyzstan, Kazakhstan, Moldova and Turkmenistan) were made fully operational. A test database with the USSR and Russia's back files (1974-1993 patents) was created on the basis of DVDs received from Rospatent. In the first quarter of 2005 back files will be furnished by Azerbaijan's and Tajikistan's national offices.
The most notable achievement in this area was the creation of a database with national patent documentation of Armenia. It contains back files on CD-ROMs prepared by the Armenian national patent office and current information retrieved from CISPATENT discs. The database's structure and its search and service mechanisms using the EAPATIS search engine make it possible to search, download and process information in three languages - Russian, Armenian and English. Users can access this fully operational database via the Armenian national office site on the Eurasian Portal. There are plans to emulate Armenia's success and create other national offices' patent documentation databases organic to EAPATIS with the possibility of search in three languages (Russian, the national one and English), and to provide standardized access to all EAPATIS information resources from the national offices' sites. Implementation of the plans would be yet another step toward the creation of a common Eurasian information space.
Measures to improve the efficiency and quality of services provided to EAPO and the Organization member states' national offices' examiners and other specialists were designed to widen access to EAPATIS, maintain and develop the system in the interests of both domestic (EAPO examiners) and outside users (national patent offices' specialists). In 2004 EAPATIS received over 100,000 search requests from EO and national offices' examiners, and over 35,000 documents were reviewed. Every day the system was used by over 70 examiners from national patent offices. The greatest number of requests came from the national offices of Russia, Belarus, Kyrgyzstan and Moldova.
On the strength of the system's full-scale operation and recommendations from EAPO and national offices' examiners, the following main improvements were added to EAPATIS in 2004:
- a new functionality - "Request Analyzer"- was added; it controls and analyzes search requests and generates recommendations about correcting data entry errors;
- two new service tools were added - the possibility of viewing the structure of the request prior to its dispatch and the possibility of analyzing "zero" search results and producing recommendations about subsequent steps;
- a separate non-patent documentation search sub-system was created; it includes local databases, a large updateable catalog of references to sources of non-patent documentation in the Internet and external databases meta-search facilities;
- facilities for integration with the Common Software System (CS) were developed for EO examiners enabling them to search and view reference documentation, to conduct search by Eurasian application number, and to view information from РСТ and IMPACT discs stored in the EAPATIS database;
- facilities for meta-search in the Internet's remote databases (espacenet, USPTO, epoline, etc.) were updated and upgraded.
2. IPDL HIVE system.
The system supports publication process and own patent fund processing in EAPO. It offers reliable storage of all materials used for publication, automation of most of the publication tasks, structured access to the stored patent information via client software or Web interface, multiplex search in bibliographic data and full texts considering languages morphology (Russian and English) and provides statistics on documents stored and on publication process.
Equipment and software used: SUN Enterprise UE250 CPU 2x300MHz, RAM 384 MB; Solaris 2.6; Informix Internet Foundation 2000; Redlab Russian Text Datablade; complementary PC CPU 450MHz; Windows Nt 4.0 Server; Microsoft IIS 4.0; Scanner Fujitsu M - 30 99 GH.
3. Administrative management system Common Software. The system is used by all examination divisions of EAPO. It supports all technological stages of consideration of Eurasian applications (applications filed through the patent offices of the Contracting States, applications filed directly with the EAPO and PCT applications) and provides broad statistics.
In 2003 a new functionality in Common Software enabling storage of procedural letters in Common Software database was developed.
Equipment and software used:
- SUN Enterprise UE3500 CPU 2x250MHz, RAM 1,25 GB; Solaris 2.6; Storage Array D1000 4x18.2 GB; SPARC storage Library Model 8/400; Solstice Backup
5.0.1; Informix Dynamic Server 7.3; HyperScript Tools v.1.1.x/1.5.
- Sun Fire 280R CPU 2x750 MHz, RAM 1 GB, Solaris 8.
In the reporting year a new server providing statistical data was put into operation:
- PC CPU Xeon 2x2.0 GHz, RAM 1,25 GB; Crystal Reports.