Browser compatibility was tested for Internet Explorer 7.0.57 + and Firefox 8.0.1
The IPC E-Forum is an online International Patent Classification (IPC) Electronic Forum, where experts from Patent Offices meet to discuss various IPC-related projects, e.g. IPC revision projects.
If you can not login as the Rapporteur of an office or as Administrator, you can still browse the application. Here are the options you have:
1. The right part of the WIPO header displays language choice and the Login button to access the application as Rapporteur office or Administrator.
2. Application Name and brief description.
3. Navigation information are displayed under WIPO header (i.e. link to Project lists, link to IPC home page and IPC-IEF online help)
4. This menu displays the search of projects with filters functionality.
5. The bottom part of the left provides the IPC-EForum application version (e.g. "1.0") and the date of the last IPC-IEF modification.
6. The main part of the screen (center/right part) displays data related to the selected screen and depending directly on the applied filters from the actions area
7. Actions list: By clicking the tab, “Actions list” windows appears with a new filter in the left column
When clicking on this button the next windows appears
The result is displayed according the choice selected in the filter search. Here the actions planed for the next 1 month. All actions before one year ago will not be displayed.
1 - First dynamic research box containing 3 selected fields:
à Select the project status (A-Active, C-Completed, R-Rejected, S-Suspended)
à Select the revision (A - AL revision, C - CL revision, CE - Committee of experts, D - Definition, H - Hybrid, M - Maintenance, QC - MCD Quality control, R - Rearrangement, SC - Subcommittee, T - Translation, TE - Training examples, WG - Revision WG)
à Select the rapporteur
2 - Second dynamic research by project number. After typing the first characters, the list of projects automatically updates.
3 - Third dynamic research - Possibility to search in the columns IPC, USPC, Current Action, Next Action and Any of these fields.
4 - Projects number - In the brackets you see the number of projects, displayed on the page
5 - Projects number - Project - A letter followed by three digits (e.g. 003, 145). Clicking on the Project name opens the project page
6 – Project subject column. Free text, normally 1 to ten words but could be more
7 - IPC - IPC subclass. Please note that there might be more than one subclass. Click in the symbol to open the official Internet Publication of the IPC for this particular symbol.
8 - Tech. - One letter standing for Project Technologies (C - Chemistry, M - Mechanics etc.)
9 - Rap. - Rapporteur - Two letter office code (IB, EP, JP, US)
10 - Trans. - Two letter office code (IB, EP, JP, US)
11 - Next Action
12 - Deadline
13 - Update - Date of last submission concerning the project, introduced automatically by the system
The project page in the public access allows only viewing the information about the project and downloading annexes. A printer friendly version is also available.
1 - Next and previous projects links
2 - Status indication of the project (Active or Completed or Rejected or Suspended)
3 - Download annexes link (see below)
4 - Revision files links in Word and PDF format. The revision file lists all annexes of the current project.
5 - IPC - IPC subclass link. Open the official Internet Publication of the IPC for this particular symbol.
6 - Word annex link. Open directly the selected file.
7 - Pdf annex link. Open directly the selected file.
1 - Rev file check box selection
2 - Annexes check box selection
3 – Download format Selection
à ORIGINAL FORMAT: the selected annexes with word format are placed together in a zip file
à PDF FORMAT: the selected annexes with pdf format are placed together in a zip file
à PDF FORMAT CONCAT: the selected annexes are gathered in one pdf file
The Internet Publication displays all the symbols of the IPC.
Once logged the offices and the administrator can access to this functionalities listed below.
Users can subscribe to receive information about projects by email by clicking on Mailing List on the left Menu and entering their email in the form.
One email address is associated to only one office.
The menu of the Mailing list contains 5 tabs:
1. Add Projects opens a page with the types and technologies where the user can make a selection and subscribe to more projects
2. Remove Projects displays a page with all selected projects with an option for removal
3. My Projects List displays the currently selected projects
4. Systematic subscription to new projects opens a page with the types and technologies where the user can make a systematic selection and subscribe to more projects
5. Unsubscribe is an the option to remove the email address from email notification
The email notification is automatic. The application checks if there are new projects and changes to existing projects (like annexes added, new messages etc.) since the last time notification was sent and sends emails with the new information.
If you selected projects in the section Systematic subscription to new Projects you will receive email notification each time a new project is created, that corresponds the selected criteria. The emails are sent at the time the project was created. You will also be notified if the project status is changed (for example completed or suspended).
If the email address is entered for the first time, the user needs to select the types and technologies that he wants to receive information about (see the screenshot below) by checking the appropriate boxes.
On the next page the projects that correspond to the selected criteria are displayed and can be selected by checking the box in front of them. Checking the top check box in each table selects all projects in the table. After the selection is made the button Subscribe has to be clicked to finalize the subscription.
Once subscribed, the next page displays the form “My Project List” that describes the list of the projects selected.
E-mail Reminder before the deadline: For each project action, three days before the deadline, an e-mail reminder is sent to all persons who have the concerned project in their “My project List” (Column E-mail reminder checked). The Systematic subscription also applies to this e-mail reminder.
To unsubscribe from the Mailing List just click the YES button on the Unsubscribe page. This means that the email is deleted from the mailing list and no further notifications are sent.
Project page outlook for the office that is not a Rapporteur for the project
The tabs “Add an Annex” and “Add a remark” are available for any Rapporteur logged.
Project page outlook for the office that is a Rapporteur for the project
The tabs “Project Info” and “Action Plan” are available only for the office EP in this example.
Offices can add text remarks that are displayed on the project page in the right part of the screen and under the actions.
Offices can add annexes files or write a message, which is saved by the application in .txt format.
The maximum file size of annexes that can be posted is 20 MB
When posted the annex file is renamed with the following convention:
· t: project type one or two digits (e.g. a, c, ce, qc…),
· ppp is the project number on 3 digits,
· ‘a’ stands for annex,
· nn is the annex number,
· oo is the WIPO standard ST.3 code of the Office which posted the annex,
· xx is the 2 letter action code manually (manually defined when adding a new action to the forum under “Plan actions” (e.g “re” for Revision request with proposal, “co” for Comments, “rr” for Rapporteur report, “rs” for Rapporteur Summary, etc…
· eee is the file extension i.e. one of the authorized the file formats
Below “Add an Annex” form
User who needs to update an already posted annex file, needs to wait 5 minutes to see that their posting is correctly taken into account by the system.
List of the authorized extensions files: DOC, DOCX, XLS, XLSX, PPT, PPS, PDF, XML, TIF, JPG, PNG, GIF, BMP, EPS, JB2, JP2, JPX, JPM, PBM, JIF, ZIP
Types of files:
- MS Word files (.doc and .docx) à PDF
- MS Excel file (.xls and .xlsx) à PDF
- MS PowerPoint file à PDF
- PDF file à no action for PDF conversion
- XML file à no action for PDF conversion
Image files à PDF
- TIFF (Tagged Image File Format)
- JPEG (Joint Photographic Expert Group)
- PNG (Portable Network Graphics)
- GIF (Graphics Interchange Format)
- BMP (Window Bitmap)
- EPS (Encapsulated Post Script)
- JB2 (JBIG2, Joint Bi-level Image Experts Group)
- JP2 (JPEG2000)
- JPX (Extended JPEG2000)
- JPM (JPEG2000, Part 6)
- PBM (Portable Bitmap File Format)
- JIF (GIF Flate)
- ZIP file à (no action for PDF conversion)
Note that the PDF format is used as pivot format to ease potential problems of incompatibilities between the authoring tool (e.g. MS Word) used to create the posted annex and the tools used by another user to read it in original format.
Therefore, where possible, posted annex are automatically converted to PDF and associated controls will be performed (anti-virus control, file size and mime type)
Note that print options of the posted annex (e.g. an Excel file) are preserved during this automatic conversion into PDF. Therefore those printing options (e.g. fit all columns on a single page, landscape orientation…),should be checked in the original file before posting.
2.5. Action Plan
Action plan - The Rapporteur can add actions for the project. If the action is set as current it is highlighted
Actions can be edited any time, the rapporteur can set their deadline and determine their position in the list of actions. By checking the box Current, the action is set as current.
TIP: In the form in order to select more offices from the list hold down the Ctrl key and then click on each selected office.
Project info is a form for editing the project information
Under a form for editing the Rapporteur Summary
- In the Decision/Approval Annex column, the Rapporteur can choose one or more Annexes among those present in the system by clicking on a + button. This click displays a table for annexes selecting.
- For the “Action for next session” column the rapporteur can input a text of maximum 250 positions with the same constraint as the “remark” field (in term of authorized characters).
- Last updated date (DD-MM-YY) of the Rapporteur Summary table
This field will be updated when the rapporteur saved the table and will be included in the heading next to Action for next session.
The administrator has access to an admin menu
Form Add a project with related information
This form allows creating, editing and deleting a list of actions according the type of project selected. For future project created, they can contain these actions if you check a checkbox Load default plan (See below in Add a new project)
This form allows creating, editing and deleting all actions in the IPC-IEF application.
This form allows some settings for the projects corresponding at a given type.
Selecting the AL Revision type displays the next window that allows the selection of a set of information.
This form allows creating, editing and deleting all types in the IPC-IEF application.
This form allows creating, editing and deleting all technologies in the IPC-IEF application.
This form allows creating, editing and deleting all status projects in the IPC-IEF application.
This form allows creating, editing and deleting the tasks related at the rapporteur summary.
This form allows creating and deleting a list of actions according the type of project selected. For future project created, the rapporteur summary will be set with this selection according their type.
The administrator can add, modify or delete the list of possible status for approvals in applicable in IEF
The administrator can update Action(s) that can be selected by clicking on “Actions List” in the Admin menu
The administrator updates the list of actions by checkbox selection